Monday, June 12, 2006

Road Trip #1

Well, Kelly and I just returned from a VERY spontaneous road trip. We got wind of a bridal shower (#4 actually) for a good friend of ours (Kim) from her Mom and Dad (whom Kelly lives with). The shower was in Saskatoon on Friday. Kelly and I decided Wednesday evening to jump in the car and go to it. So I tried desperately to think of someone that could keep the kids on Friday until Jon got home from work. I ended up dropping Micah off at Jen's house Friday morning, and Brielle and I headed off to Edmonton to pick Kelly up (talk about taking the long way to Saskatoon...I know). We got to Edmonton at noon exactly and switched vehicles, because I'd driven my dad's truck up to Edmonton so I could return with some of Kelly's stuff. Just after 1pm we left Edmonton for Saskatoon. Our little road trip started off with us not exactly knowing how to get to Saskatoon from Edmonton. We've been to Saskatoon plenty of times (having lived there for 10 years, with relatives here in Calgary), but never have we driven it from Edmonton. So we started off anyways. I had looked at a map before we left so I knew what roads we COULD take, it was only a matter of finding those roads :). Anyways, let's just say we ended up taking the scenic route. It was only 20 minutes longer than the other way, but worth it I think, because it was WAY prettier. We took the other way (Highway #16) home...not so exciting.
We arrived in Saskatoon between 6 and 6:30pm Friday evening. The shower was to start at 8pm. Once we found Bonnie's apartment we attempted to find a way into it. Quite amusing. The buzzer to the apartment is through the phone, which she doesn't have yet. Luckily for us, her mom saw us and let us in. The shower was great. Kim was very surprised to see us there. After the shower we slept on Bonnie's living room floor along with Kim and Danielle, Kim's mom slept in Bonnie's room. It was a lot of fun to see Kim and Bonnie again. We used to be pretty inseparable when we were younger. Saturday morning we started our journey home. Crazy eh?! Brielle and I drove 16 hours total to spend 16 hours in Saskatoon. We did however, have a ton of fun! I'm now excited for our road trip #2. You'll hear about that the end of July some time.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

You're crazy! lol but sounds like you had fun...I wish that I could just pick up and go like that, but since I watch Josh and Celina so much, don't think it'd be so easy. I'd love to do it sometime though....I can't wait to hear of your second road trip! Hope to see you sometime this summer! Love ya guys and miss you all

Kelly said...

Can't wait to do it again. There's something about a road trip that makes you feel... FREE.