Thursday, June 21, 2007
Mmm...fish eggs :)
When I was younger I used to always be completely disgusted at the thought/sight of tapioca pudding. It reminded me of fish eggs. I remember trying it once...not a pretty sight. We were sitting in Bonanza (I miss this restaurant), I took a helping of tapioca pudding as a dare. As the lumpy fish egg bits hit my tongue, my lunch started to creep up my throat. I jumped up to get ready to run to the bathroom. No worries...I kept it all down. But it turned me off of tapioca pudding for many many years. Very shortly after Jon and I got married, his mom made supper for us. When we were done eating supper, she placed dessert in front of us. We were each given a large helping of....you guessed it...tapioca pudding. As I stared down at my bowl the back of my throat started to quiver, getting itself ready for the second appearance of my supper. I took a deep breath, and not wanting to offend my new mother-in-law I took a SMALL bite. To my utter shock, it was wonderfully delicious. I still don't think I've ever told Jon's mom my original distaste for this particular dessert (She knows now though). However, I'm glad that I was re-introduced to tapioca pudding. As a matter of fact, I'm enjoying some right now. :) Mmm...fish eggs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I miss Bonanza too! My family used to always go there when I was a kid. Salad bar, soft ice cream, mmmmm!
Hahaha Bonanza...
Sunday lunch (without fail).
Hahaha fish eggs.
I remember that visit clearly.
Laughter was all around.
Oh wow and I thought I was the only one! lol We used to go there all the time....there and Chi Chi's in Calgary,...mmmmm cheese and onion enchilladas, and fried ice cream......yummy
Bonanza? Chopped steak and salad bar. Mmmmm.
And... breaking news! My mom and dad just told me Moose Jaw still has Bonanza.
I hated Tapioca pudding as a kid too. And I have yet to try it as an adult. I'm curious now though!
Bonanza, how could you go wrong. Jill always orders chicken fingers and I ordered Fish and chips. Dad had veal cutlets. Mom mixed it up usually.
Funny story about pudding, if you ask any of my close friends they'll tell you that I can't eat pudding. It makes my throat close. I can't explain. Anyway, one time I went for dinner at the Conways' and they never have dessert, but because I was coming they thought it would be nice to have dessert well, what do they serve....Pistachio pudding. Lucky me, because I'm also deathly allergic to pistachios. Isn't that kinda funny.
Post a Comment