Friday, March 24, 2006

Am I my mother???



Is it inevitable that as women, we turn into our mothers?

I'm babysitting Hayden today. The girls were doing their usual bickering, and before I thought otherwise I heard myself saying "if you don't have anything nice to say to each other, don't talk to each other at all." Growing up with two sisters, I heard my mother say the same thing to us countless times.

That's not the only thing that I find myself doing that reminds me of my mother. There are MANY more. Most of them happen when I'm speaking to my children (or singing to them. Something my mom did regularly was sing really crazy songs that we thought she'd made up. Until as adults we heard them sung by other people and thought "What are you singing???? That's MY mom's crazy song! - right girls!). I see my mom in my movements, the way I stand, the way I walk. I think I'm actually turning into my mother. Good thing I love my mom so much! As a teen I would have been horrified at the thought of being like my mom, but now I see just how amazing of a woman she really is, and don't really mind one bit that I'm a little more like her every day! She's a wonderful wife, mother, host, friend, and most importantly child of God. I would love to be a little more like her.

Even more than that though, I hope that I can someday say "I think I'm turning into Jesus!" not in a literal way of course. I know that I can never be perfect like him, but the reason that we're placed on this earth is to be more like him, and have others see him through us! I want to say that I have some of the characteristics of Christ in me. That I have compassion, patience, mercy, grace, understanding, LOVE, and many more characteristics that I strive every day to have. Shouldn't we ALL have that goal?

4 comments:

Amanda Brown said...

Having a mother you don't mind becoming like is a real blessing. I feel the same way about mine. :)

Yummy Mommy said...

I am turning into our mother more than you so have no fear! LOL! We are so blessed to have a godly mother as an example. Although we are in human flesh. We need to be cautious of looking to imperfect people for inspiration. You are so right in saying that who we really ought to be proud to become is more like Jesus! I remember when I started noticing Dad was becoming like Grandpa Budd. I look back now and realize I was mostly seeing Jesus in him the way that I see Jesus in our Grandpa. What a powerful and awesome Christian heritage we have. As I get to know God's word and drink up the assurrance of His love for me... I am just so overwhelmed with the desire to know Him more. It is actually very easy for me to get up early in the morning to spend time with Him. I haven't hit snooze in a very long time. Thanks for the blog Abbey. You are a much better blogger than I. By the way, who is this adorable Amanda who often comments on your blog? I like her.

Abbey said...

Amanda is a friend of mine from bible school. She IS adorable, and I also like her :) (she's pregnant too....which makes her all the more adorable)

Marlene S. said...

Abbey, I've been noticing the same thing in myself lately. In fact, I came across a picture of our family when I was 18 and my mom around 45. I even held it up to the mirror and couldn't believe just how much I look like her.

Like you, this would have freaked me out a few years ago. But as I am understanding what an incredible woman I was privileged to call mother, I consider the similarities to give me some hope.

Blessings as you mom on!